Monday 4 November 2013

The week that was....will be

This past weekend I had a great time playing with the (mostly) 70's rock band Alter Ian! We played two nights of some well known and lesser known hits from the 70's. I really enjoy playing with the guys, the music is always a challenge. I really took note of how some of the tunes had such inventive chord progressions....progressions that are not always the easiest to just hear on the fly. I had managed to put together a bunch of charts so I could reference the most needed horn lines, but at times I really had to focus, especially when the leader would point at me to solo. Often I had no idea exactly what changes were that I would be soloing over. I love this kind of ear training....I also love the challenge of playing in a genre. I am really looking forward to the next gig with these guys.

This upcoming week I'll be playing a concert at the National Music Center with the Invertigo trio. We have done a handful of gigs, and when possible we get together just to play...sessions with this group are always satisfying. Rubim and Jon are my favourite Bass/Drums combination in Town!

This weeks concert is with the guitarist Peter Bernstein. Peter is one of the finest jazz guitarists on the planet.

That's kind of all that needs to be said about that. He's fantastic and if you can you should try to attend the concert just to see him.

Tuesday, November 5th

8:00pm

National Music Centre
134 11th Ave SE
Calgary, AB

$20 General Admission
$15 students


Here is a great clip of Ahmad Jamal performing superstition from his 70's album "Ahmad Jamal 73" one of the first albums I bought (5$ at sound connection) great things can happen when you take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment