Friday 2 September 2011

DAY 30: Cannonball Adderley and Strings and Jump For Joy [1955/1958]

I first heard Julian 'Cannonball" Adderley while I was in high school, I loved the sound but didn't focus too much on him as he was an alto player and I was playing tenor. As I continued in school I eventually had the opportunity to play alto; One stolen alto (long story) a huge book of cannonball solos (thanks Jeff Antoniuk!) and I was hooked.

I found this "Two-Fer" at south side sound and at the time was a bit disappointed. All of the tracks from these two records featuring cannonball with strings are 2-3 minutes long, not exactly the burning soloistic explorations I was used to. I haven't listened to this many times and maybe it's because today is the final day of my 30 day challenge but for some reason these beautiful melodies and short but perfect solos are just what I needed. Cannonball sounds wonderful! the orchestrations are soothing and lush (Jump for Joy is a bit more adventurous), and although some of the solos are shorter than I'm used to they are every bit as majestic as Cannons other works. Highly Recommended!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment