Monday 11 February 2013

Fun gig at the yardbird suite!!

This past Friday my brother and I reunited the Brenan Brothers for a really fun show. We paid homage to two great J.J. Johnson Albums: Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson live at the opera house and the very difficult to find J.J. Johnson Quintergy. I first heard Quintergy when it came out, a good friend Rod Murray lent it to me, and I loved the modern arrangements over familiar tunes. At the Opera house came later, while I was living in New Zealand-and of course it's a classical all jazz fans are aware of. I love both records and have listened to them dozens of times, it was great to finally play the music. I also really liked how the gig was a straight ahead blowing gig. Very little counting, no odd meter sections or overly difficult ensemble sections.....just a lot of fun. Chris Andrew (piano), Rubim De Toledo (bass) and Jon McCaslin (drums) played great!!!!

I hope you enjoy this live clip of J.J.'s band playing Quintergy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment