Monday 18 February 2013

Jam session

This past Saturday I had a great time co-hosting the Broken City Jam session with Rubim De Toledo on Bass and Jon McCaslin on drums. The session was good, we really started to stretch and the guests were a lot of fun to listen to. I love the trio/without chords format. I first head Steve Grossman in this context on Way out East (and then figured out it was an homage to Sonny Rollins "Way out West") and was always struck by just how clear the harmonic progression was without a chordal instrument. I think this is one of the best challenges for a musician. It's all about Clarity!!!

Some of my favourite "trio" records are:

Joe Henderson State of the Tenor vol. 1+2 (Christmas gift from my brother)

Steve Grossman Way Out East (Sam the Record Man Toronto)

Sonny Rollins Way out West (from Gordon Towell) and A Night at the Village Vanguard (from Ralf Buschmeyer)

Elvin Jones Live at the Lighthouse 1+2 (two tenors)

Joonatan Rautio Commitment


 I hope you enjoy these clips!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment