Tuesday 16 August 2011

Day 13: Sonny Stitt sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio

This is a quick one. My good friend Mike Rud introduced me to the "sits in" with Oscar Peterson series.

There are many great records: Stan Getz, Sonny Stitt, Ben Webster, Dizzy Gillespie, Roy Eldridge, Harry Edison, Clark Terry, and Jon Faddis. These records are fantastic-and my favourite is the one with Sonny Stitt. In fact, I am a HUGE Sonny Stitt fan. I have yet to find a record I don't like. I have transcribed dozens of his solos and everyone is filled with beautiful jazz language. He epitomizes the bop/hard bop era for me. He plays with a great time feel and makes the changes every time. Easily in my top five saxophone players of all time. I love Sonny Stitt!!! Below is something fun followed by a great track from this record. enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment