Wednesday 24 August 2011

Day 21: Larry Young Unity

Larry Young (organ) Woody Shaw (trumpet) Elvin Jones (drums) Joe Henderson (saxophone)
I bought this album from A & B sound in Edmonton AB. I had just returned from my first semester at Rutgers where I was told that I needed to buy two discs. I was told that these two albums (Larry Young's "Unity" being one of them) were essential for all students to own because these two records would become the standard that all rhythm sections would forever more try to live up to.

Alright then

I hope you enjoy one of the greatest jazz albums of all time!!



2 comments:

  1. Unity is absolutely outstanding - some of my very favorite Elvin - but I'm curious as to what the other record was??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other album was McCoy Tyners "The real McCoy" The profs at Rutgers were adamant that all we needed to do was check out these two albums.

    thanks for reading!!


    jim

    ReplyDelete