Sunday 14 August 2011

Day 11: Ralph Peterson Back to Stay [1999]

I had completely forgot about this fantastic album until my good friend Jon McCaslin asked if I had any Ralph Peterson he could borrow.

I have know about Ralph for a long time (he spent some time in my home town: Edmonton). He was the drummer for OTB, one of the most influential bands of my youth. His incredibly hard driving full-tilt swing is so bombastic, its like three drummers falling down the stairs but all the while maintaining a serious groove!! I love this record, but not because of Ralph Peterson. I love it because Ralph Bowen and Michael Brecker are on it AND they trade solos on the first track-it's heaven! The energy Bowen and Brecker bring to this odd meter outing is off the charts. Brecker on tenor and Bowen on soprano are perfect foils as they go head to head. Bowen remains on soprano for the rest of the album (minus "Soul Eyes" a Brecker feature) and is quite simply awesome. I received this album as a gift from Ralph, I have never seen it for sale, but a quick scan and it's available on itunes. (Miles Mode is another standout). I'll attach a video so you can get an idea of what Ralph Peterson is all about. enjoy




No comments:

Post a Comment