Friday 12 August 2011

Day 9: Joonatan Rautio Trio - Commitment [2010]

Just a quick one for today-and Thanks to everyone who made album suggestions! I checked out a few and I will definitely review a few of them. I first met Finnish saxophonist Joonatan Raution in Poland at the Krakow Jazz festival and was immediately taken with his playing.

Joonatan has great chops, very imaginative lines and a great sound. He has that modern blend of Coltrane and Brecker that so many tenor players attempt without just playing licks-he has the sound. I don't think he's too well known in North America but he should be. This album is Bass, drums and saxophone and the songs are mostly originals (that sound almost like a song you know....but not quite) The final track Commitment is a definite standout. I should point out that this record is a 180 degree departure from his previous CD (medicine) which is a gospel influenced fusion project. Joonatan is fantastic and I hope becomes more well known!

No comments:

Post a Comment