Saturday 27 August 2011

Day 24 Don Grolnick Weaver of Dreams [1990]

I never actually owned "Weaver of Dreams" I believe my brother had borrowed it from trumpeter and composer Allan Gilliland. I remember going to a party and hearing this for the first time. I was shocked. It seemed all those great Brecker tunes were really written by Don Grolnick and his version of the tunes must be the way they were originally imagined. It opened up the whole idea of interpretation for me.
This album is as good as it gets. I was reminded of this yesterday talking with a friend about the perfect album. Not just superb playing but also the most balanced record with regards to content. I think a few records fall into that category for me...Michael Breckers "Two Blocks from the Edge" and Rick Margitza's "This is New" and I'm sure there are more. At any rate After Don's untimely passing in 1996 Blue note release a two CD album featuring both of Don's blue note records. It is a constant source of enjoyment and inspiration. A true gem!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment