Saturday 20 August 2011

Day 17: Mel Lewis & the Jazz Orchestra featuring the music of Bob Brookmeyer [1982]

I first heard this while attending St. FX, at one of the music parties someone put this on and I was mesmerized by the writing. I immediately had to listen to the track "the nasty dance" a few more times and was in awe at how tight the band played. I didn't realize until much later that this is a live recording.


There are only six charts on the disc and they feature solos from the likes of: Dick Oats, Tom Harrell, Joe Lovano, Jim McNeely, Kenny Garrett and of course Bob Brookmeyer and Mel Lewis. This was a record of firsts for me in many ways-the first time I heard Joe Lovano, the first time I really enjoyed big band and started to hear that there was more to large ensemble writing then Count Basie. This is a great, hard to find CD, but a fantastic disc filled with beautiful music!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment