Thursday 11 August 2011

Day 8: SF JAZZ Collective vol.1

A few months ago a great clip of the SF Jazz collective performing Stevie Wonders Superstition made the rounds on face book, and I was struck with the inventiveness of the arrangement. I find that "re-working" classic pop tunes can be hit or miss, but Superstition was great!!
 After hearing superstition I tracked down the first two records. They don't have the exact same line-up (as on superstition) but the playing and arrangements are very creative, and inventive. Definitely a very fresh take on jazz music. I have to say I am really taken with the arrangements on this record. This album is perfect for sitting down and listening to. It feels like a complete concert and it definitely needs your 100% attention. The first volume was released in 2004 yet it could have been recorded and performed yesterday, and I should point out that Bobby Hutcherson is a definite standout on the vibes (coming from someone who never really dug Bobby's playing....) Check this out-it is fantastic!!

I chose the superstition clip, as that's what got me interested in the band-enjoy






No comments:

Post a Comment