Tuesday 23 August 2011

Day 20: Michael Davis Bonetown [1999]

Bonetown. Trombone. Jazz music.


My entire musical life I have known about the trombone, my twin brother plays it (Craig Brenan-check out the Modo trio) and I have probably heard every "cool" trombone album in existence. Contrary to popular belief I actually like the trombone and gravitate towards players with a warm tone, and a clean separation between notes (they are playing a slide after all). I believe the trombone is starting to regain popularity, there seems to be a new wave of trombonists emerging in the jazz world-my favourite being Michael Dease. The best part about these younger players is that they are not letting the instrument limit what or how they play, some of them have as much range and facility as saxophonists and trumpeters. Way to go Trombone! I "borrowed' this album from a student while I was living and working in New Zealand. I haven't listened to it for 8 years. It's a fine album the band is Joey Calderazzo (piano) John Pattitucci (bass) and Will Kennedy (drums) and feature both Michael Davis and Bill Reichenbach on trombone and euphonium. The rhythm section plays with a lot of fire and interaction but not when the trombones are playing. It's a bit strange, I imagine the trombone solos must have been over dubbed (which is fine). Overall the album reminds me of a yellowjackets record but with trombone. It is a bit hard to describe as it's kind of a fusion record but with a bit more of a jazz persuasion. confused? so am I. Its a good record but just one I probably wont listen to again.


No comments:

Post a Comment