Thursday 4 August 2011

The 30 day challenge!

I have decided that my thirty day challenge will be to listen to one CD a day. As a musician you would think this would be quite easy, but as it turns out it's not, I just don't set aside enough time for dedicated listening anymore. To make this a little bit more of a challenge I have set up some rules. 1. There can be no distractions while listening to the disc-that means I can not listen while driving or doing stuff around the house. 2. I must listen to the disc all the way through, no breaks-this might mean a bit more planning but it can be done. I have a lot of music that I could definitely be more familiar with, so this is going to be a great 30 days!! oh yah, and 3. I'm going to write a short review of each disc.

My first disc is Eric Alexander: Man with a Horn
This album was given to me by my good friend Jerrold Dubyk, if I remember correctly he went through a pretty big Eric Alexander phase and thought I might like this one. I do, it has a nice blend of standards and originals and features Eric in a quartet and with Jim Rotondi (trumpet); Steve Davis (trombone) in a sextet. Eric plays with a big sound and plays a lot of Dexter vocabulary, definitely coming out of the bop-hard bop era. For my tastes there could be more interaction between the rhythm section and the soloists but the album definitely swings and is filled with some great language!

No comments:

Post a Comment