Monday 29 August 2011

Day 26: kenny Garrett Sketches of MD (Live at the Iridium) [2008]

Kenny Garrett. I first heard Kenny with the influential young lion band of the 80's, OTB. He had such a "new" sound and what sounded to me like such an angular approach. Where did he come from and how come he sounded more like a tenor player than an altoist?!?
That dark sound and extensive use of Fourths was immediately interesting and engaging. I bought his first few records and really liked "African Exchange Student" but somewhere around his "Pursuance: Music of John Coltrane" album we had a break-up (this was 1996). Ten years later a good friend, Mark Dejong lent me "Kenny Garrett: Stand of Language" (which introduced me to the wonderful drummer Eric Harland!) I heard Kenny with fresh ears, he sounded more in tune and I liked what he was doing a bit more, but I digress....This album is interesting. It's live and owes a lot more to Coltrane and McCoy Tyner than Miles Davis (the MD in the title) I know Kenny played with Miles and made some fantastic music with him but this doesn't strike me as coming from that place. It's modal, featuring Coltrane alumni Pharoah Sanders and Kenny even draws some of his lines from the Coltrane legacy. The title track does employ electronics and does have a bit of a miles feel to it...but it's not quite there for me. Its a good record even if I think the title is a bit misleading. (PS. the last two tunes are straight up fun groove tunes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment