Thursday 25 August 2011

Day 22: The President Plays with the Oscar Peterson Trio

I bought this record on the recommendation of one of my old saxophone teachers (Jeff Antoniuk). I had just spent four months imitating Ben Webster (to the complete frustration of my band mates) and thought I should branch out and listen to other swing era giants.
 I can't remember when I first heard Lester Young but it seems like he's always been there. I wasn't a huge fan, I just knew of his contribution to the lineage of great saxophone players. By the time I finally got around to checking him out I realized that I had been missing out on a significant contributor to the jazz lexicon. This album with Oscar is awesome. The solos are wonderfully played and the band seems to be having a great time making music together. The CD I have has an extra track with Lester singing (it takes) Two to tango. A real swinging affair!!


No comments:

Post a Comment