Sunday 28 August 2011

Day 25: Joel Frahm and Bruce Katz project A [2009]

I first met Joel in 1993, It was my second week of living in New Jersey and my Teacher Ralph Bowen got sick and sent me as a sub on a "Fins" gig. I had the time of my life. The band is a four horn blues band Joel was awesome!
I definitely learned a tonne playing beside Joel most weekends for two years. He has an amazing time feel, great Blues concept (as well as a modern jazz concept) and one of the strongest grooves going. He is also a super nice guy. Man!! some nights his solos would drive the audience crazy-it was a real treat being a part of that. I was searching itunes and stumbled upon this record. I bought it. It's got Joel on it. I always said no one plays the blues the way Joel Frahm does and now everyone can hear him tear it up (with just enough Jazz sensibilities to change it up). This album is fantastic!! enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment