Friday 19 August 2011

Day 16 Florian Ross Eightball and Whitehorse [2007]

I met Florian in '97 at one of Hugh Frazers workshops in Vancouver. He is a Fantastic composer, great musician and a great guy. I love his playing, and I love hanging with him (although it's been years!). One day in 2007 I got a package in the mail-I was completely surprised to find this album! I didn't ask for it-it just came. Florian is great that way.
Four saxophones, piano bass and drums, what could be better? this album is a fantastic representation of Florians aristry-his ability to write beautiful tunes that are a joy to solo over. I highly recommend Wolongong sketch-it has a Kieth Jarret flavour and is such a warm vibe. The album is filled with great solos and interesting writing. It never gets "too clever" it's just great writing and playing. I suppose as a European release it may not have received the attention it deserves in North America. I suggest everyone check this out. Here is a clip of Florian playing organ with some trombone guy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment