Wednesday 17 August 2011

Day 14: Claus Ogerman Featuring Michael Brecker [1991]

I have been swamped these past three days. I'm in the middle of jazz camp so I don't have as much time early in the day to check out some music, which means the posts are coming later and later. I have been choosing CD's by random and have noticed that for the most part I have really enjoyed everything (except Brian Blade seasons of change). This will most likely be my most negative review so far. Claus Ogerman featuring Michael Brecker, it doesn't even have a great title.
Weak. I remember when this album came out and was actually pretty excited about it, as I have the first Ogerman album with Brecker: Cityscapes. Cityscapes is a fantastic CD that I have listened to dozens and dozens of times. This album...not so much. I've listened to this once and I don't think I'll go back for seconds. Brecker is fantastic, but the songs all seem to be re-worked versions of the tunes on Cityscapes and they just don't have that wonderful orchestral warmth the first record did. It's a weak attempt at trying to recreate a musical masterpiece. I don't get it. And I don't like it. Maybe its me but I think so much more could have been done. Cityscapes is just such a great album, and this is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment