Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 27: Kurt Elling The Gate [2011]

I first heard Kurt Elling while on a drive, the song was Tanya Jean and I pulled over to focus on what was being sung. Hearing someone put words to a Dexter Gordon solo was a new experience for me and I really liked it.

I have since seen Kurt twice (once in New Zealand) and he has an undeniably rich voice with a unique musical sensibility. He sings like a horn player would play. This album is filled with pop tunes originally by King Crimson, Joe Jackson, The Beatles, Earth Wind and Fire and Stevie Wonder but it isn't a pop album. One can assume the majority of arrangements are by the Pianist Lawrence Hobgood (as most of Kurts music is). The album is a bit more laid back than previous outings and is missing those wonderful solo interpretations that originally attracted me to his music (Check out Live at the Green Mill). Subtle but still beautiful, check out the Earth Wind and Fire cover of "After the Love is Gone" enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment