Wednesday 31 August 2011

Day 28: Ravi Coltrane In Flux [2005]

I did a gig with Ravi Coltrane. He was incredibly nice, and played great. I was overwhelmed with 1.) how much he looked like his father and 2.) trying not to play all my Coltrane language. Guess how successful I was!
You couldn't say that I was a Ravi Coltrane fan, I guess I just thought it was best to not get into making comparisons and the fairest way to do that was to avoid the whole thing. A year ago my good friend Ron Samsom came for a visit and gave me this CD. I kind of put off listening to it-but Ron kept bugging me so I checked it out. I'm glad I did. I really like the disc, the writing is interesting and the playing is great-especially his soprano sound. I really like it-it has a beautiful richness with just a hint of the famous Coltrane cry. Ravi  has his own sound and his own approach-I guess I'm surprised but really, should I be?? I like that Ravi doesn't exploit the family name but keeps quietly working to move his career forward. This album is gentle, soft and expansive, with beautiful, thoughtful playing!

Personnel: Ravi Coltrane (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Luis Perdomo (piano); Drew Gress (bass instrument); E.J. Strickland (drums); Luisito Quintero (percussion)

No comments:

Post a Comment