Wednesday 10 August 2011

Day 7: McCoy Tyner Infinity

I hadn't heard this entire album until today, I knew about it and knew that Michael Breckers impressions solo won a Grammy award but for some reason I stayed away.

It was 1996, and I think I saw this album less about making music and more about selling discs - I probably thought that there was no reason to try and recreate what McCoy and Coltrane had done. At any rate a student of mine came in with a transcription from this album and we spent a few weeks tearing it apart and looking at Breckers language. I have to say this is a great record, the music is varied the band plays well and McCoy and Brecker sounds fantastic together! (Breckers Grammy winning solo is fantastic!). I suppose I can say it has definitely been worth the wait. You can check out Breckers Grammy award winning solo HERE and listen to the track below

No comments:

Post a Comment