Friday 26 August 2011

Day 23: Robert Glasper Canvas [2005]

It was late, maybe 3am or so and I was listening to music online when I decided to stop by the bluenote site to see if any new RVG editions had been released.  Robert Glasper was the feature artist so I clicked and heard his first cut "Rise and Shine". I immediately thought of young Chick Corea. I went to itunes and bought it right then!
I really enjoyed this album and was excited to take a chance on some new (to me) musicians. I feel this album helped change one of the directions jazz was going in. For the first time hip hop sensibilities had successfully made its way into a mainstream jazz recording. The rhythmic concept is different from most. This trio must have been doing this for a while for it to feel so great. Standouts for me are still Rise and Shine, Canvas and Jelly's da Beener.


1 comment:

  1. Played rise and shine at a few gigs @ X... Check out Three in One on his album Double Booked.. ... Also, on In My Element check out Silly Rabbit, Mood and Bonaroo live 2007, Canvas is on that also.

    ReplyDelete