Sunday 21 August 2011

Day 18: The Tubes Outside Inside [1983]

The Tubes. This is not a jazz record. I bought this on cassette in 1983 after hearing and loving their previous record "the completion backwards principle".
I haven't listened to this in a number of years and grabbing it from the shelf was a bit of surprise-a complete surprise. At any rate I distinctly remember listening to this over and over again one night while I was delivering flyers for a real estate company my mother worked for. I listened to "Wild Women of Wongo" and "Tip of my Tongue" over and over that night, so much so that I can remember the exact location and even what I was wearing (hi Mark Frend!!). That's the power of music! As I was listening I found myself singing all of the songs, it was great. A real treat to reminisce with this record. I found out much later that the Tubes in the studio were much different from the live Tubes. The studio band (produced by David Foster) eventually became 80's pop powerhouse Toto. I liked them too. I kept an eye out for the studio musicians who made up the group but mostly followed Jeff Pocaro (drums) he was fantastic!
 I hope you enjoy this record! Here is "Tip of my Tongue"

No comments:

Post a Comment