Monday 22 August 2011

Day 19: Takin' Care of Business - Charlie Rouse Quintet

I first heard of Charlie Rouse when a fellow student of the saxophone suggested that (our teacher at the time) Gordon Towell sounded a lot like him.

I checked out the album "Unsung hero" and I did hear a definite similarity to Gord and a strong post bop/rollinsesque approach to his playing. I later found out he performed a lot with Thelonious Monk and later helped form the band "Sphere". Charlie had a full career as a jazz musician until his death at the age of 64 (lung cancer). I must say this is a good record to check out, its filled with solid jazz language and is expertly played by the entire band. A great session for Charlie, but the band of Blue Mitchell (trumpet), Walter Bishop (piano), Earl May (bass) and Art Taylor (drums) definitely hold their own and at times may even outshine the leader on his own date. I bought this album at the Princeton record exchange in Princeton New Jersey. They have a great selection of Jazz CD's, I'm always surprised what I find there and always amazed that people would trade in such gems as this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment